Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sesame Chicken

I have a weakness for Chinese take-out. Specifically for sesame chicken. At least once a week I'm trying to convince Vince to order Chinese for delivery. Our favorite take-out place recently got a new chef, and we are not fans. We've since tried several other places in the area. They have each been ok but nothing to write home about.

In an effort to a) keep my daily points from going out the window; b) keep a tighter reign on our dining out budget; and c) satisfy my sesame chicken craving; I went looking for an easy recipe to make at home.

This recipe is both easy and delicious. It came in at less than half the points of restaurant sesame chicken, so I think this one is a keeper.


Sesame Chicken
Adapted from Gourmet: Day to Day


Ingredients
1/4 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves (~1 lb), cut into bite size pieces
1/4 Cup Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds

Directions
  1. Put the flour, salt, and pepper into a gallon sized ziplock bag.
  2. Add the chicken to the bag, zip the top and shake well.
  3. Coat a large non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat.
  4. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink.
  5. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
  6. Reduce the heat on the skillet.
  7. Add the soy sauce and sugar to the skillet.
  8. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
  9. Remove from heat immediately to not burn the sugar.
  10. stir in the sesame oil and sesame seeds.
  11. Add the chicken and toss thoroughly to coat.

Yields: 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it. It is one of my husbands favorites!

    PS. I love the name of your blog! how fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I have to say I've been enjoying quite a few of your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete