Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Fish Tacos with Grapefruit Salsa

Last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of another Lenten season. Once again, I am on the lookout for "meatless" meals for Fridays. Salmon is my usual go-to meal during Lent, mostly because we really like it and it is pretty versatile. I will be trying out a few new recipes though, just to shake things up a bit.

A good friend of ours just got back from a trip to Florida and brought us big bags of fresh oranges and grapefruit. I had this recipe bookmarked to try and thought it was the perfect opportunity to use some of our new fresh produce.

I tweaked the original recipe to fit out tastes, it really is a very forgiving recipe. I used rainbow trout but I think any white fish, like halibut, mahi-mahi, orange roughy, tilapia, snapper, or catfish will work fine. I left out the onion and jalapeno, just because I don't like them. I also substituted parsley for the cilantro, again because I don't like cilantro. I didn't have any bell peppers on hand but I will use them next time I make this recipe. I also found segmenting and skinning the grapefruit to be pretty tedious work, so next time I will probably use canned grapefruit.

Overall, this was a great alternative to regular taco night. Everything was very fresh and light tasting. The grapefruit was not an overpowering taste, even Vince the grapefruit hater ate several tacos. The yogurt gave a nice tangy finish, the way sour cream traditionally would, but seemed to go much better with the fish.


Fish Tacos with Grapefruit Salsa
Adapted from Apple A Day


Ingredients
1 Medium Grapefruit, segmented and chopped
1 Medium Avocado, diced
1/4 Cup Grape Tomatoes, diced
1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 pound White Fish (I used Rainbow Trout)
12 Corn Tortilla (6 inch)
12 Tablespoons Fat-Free Plain Greek Yogurt

Directions
  1. In a small bowl, toss the grapefruit, avocado, onion, parsley, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
  2. Coat a large non-stick skillet with olive oil cooking spray and heat.
  3. Season the fish with salt and pepper and cook (approx 4 minutes on each side) until it flakes easily.
  4. Remove from the skillet and flake with a fork.
  5. Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 10-12 seconds, covered with a damp paper towel.
  6. Fill each tortilla with fish, then top with salsa and a tablespoon of yogurt.

Yields: 6 servings (2 tacos per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment