Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chocolate Glazed Baked Vanilla Doughnuts

Mmmmmm...doughnuts. I finally joined the ranks of bakers who make their own doughnuts. Yummy, cakey, chocolately, goodness at any time, day or night. It took me awhile to take the plunge and buy a couple of doughnut pans, but boy was it worth it.

My first foray into the doughnut world was a simple one. I chose an easy vanilla doughnut with a chocolate glaze. I was a little surprised that it took me several batches before I came upon a recipe that I really like, and then several more tried for the glaze. What I ended up with was so yummy that I try very hard not to make them every morning.

These babies come out super fluffy and moist. The chocolate glaze is decadent and doesn't get flakey like most doughnut glazes. The first time I made them, they didn't stick around long enough to tell how well they stored but the next time I made them, I put some into an airtight container for the next day. I have to say, they were definitely better fresh. They were ok the next day but would really not last any longer than that for freshness.


Chocolate Glazed Baked Vanilla Doughnuts
Adapted from Gourmet Day to Day
And Just Baked



Ingredients

Doughnuts
2 Cups Cake Flour (or 1 3/4 Cups All Purpose Flour + 1/4 Cup Cornstarch)
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Buttermilk
2 Large Eggs
1 Tablespoon Butter, melted

Chocolate Glaze
2 1/2 Tablespoons Butter
2 oz Chocolate Chips
1 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/8 Cup Hot Water

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F.
  2. Liberally grease doughnut pans with cooking spray.
  3. In a bowl, whisk together the butter, buttermilk, and eggs.
  4. Sift in the dry ingredients.
  5. Mix until just combined. (Over mixing will create tough doughnuts.)
  6. Spoon the batter into the doughnut wells until about 2/3 full.
  7. Bake 7-8 minutes, until golden and the tops spring back when touched.
  8. Let cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes and then removed to a wire rack until cooled completely.
  9. As the doughnuts cool, make the glaze.
  10. Using a microwave safe bowl that is wide enough to dip the doughnuts into, melt the butter and chocolate chips in the microwave at 20 second intervals, until smooth and shiny.
  11. Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and water.
  12. Dip the top of each doughnut into the warm glaze.
  13. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes for the glaze to set.

Yields: 12 Doughnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment