Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chicken Corn Chowder

I love chicken corn chowder. It is the perfect combination of sweet, creamy, and hearty. I have had it at several restaurants and it is always good. However, the only time I've eaten it at home is when we needed a quick dinner of canned soup and sandwiches. As tasty as the canned soups can be, they really just aren't that good for you. I bookmarked this recipe with the thought that if I made it myself, it would be healthier. Well, I was right and I was wrong.

This recipe came together really quickly and easily. It was a great dinner on a particular cold, rainy night. The flavors were awesome too. But, when I compared the points to the points of Campbell's Chunky Chicken Corn Chowder soup, mine was more. Campbell's came in at 5 PP for a 1 cup serving, mine came in at 8 PP for the same serving size. However, mine was lower in sodium and cholesterol. So, overall it was probably a little healthier. My homemade version was definitely more filling that the canned soup. I almost always end up either having a second serving of the canned soup or eating with a half a sandwich in order to feel full. With this recipe, I was able to feel pretty full with just one serving. I could probably add in even more veggies to make the soup go a little further.

Overall, I think this is a great starter recipe for homemade soup. The ingredients are all basic kitchen items, making this a meal that can come together at the last minute without having to plan ahead for it. It is easily adaptable and modified and doesn't take much time or skill to prepare. It also freezes well. I'm sure I'll be making this one again.


Chicken Corn Chowder
Adapted from Gourmet: Day to Day


Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Butter or Margarine
1/4 Cup Onion, diced
1/4 Cup Carrots, diced
2 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
3 Cups Reduced Fat Milk, 2%
2 Cups Cooked Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, shredded or diced
2 Cups of Frozen Corn Kernels
1/4 teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Dried Dill
Optional: 1/8 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
1 - 14 3/4 oz Can of Cream Style Corn

Directions
  1. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat.
  2. Add the onion and carrots.
  3. Cook for about 5 minutes, until tender, stirring frequently.
  4. Add the flour and cook for 1 minutes, constantly stirring to prevent burning.
  5. Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well.
  6. Bring the soup to a low boil.
  7. Cook until thick, about 5-10 minutes.

Yields: 6 servings (1 cup each)

No comments:

Post a Comment