Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lasagna Stuffed Shells

I can't remember having stuffed shells. I'm sure at some point in my life I did, but I just don't remember it. They look good, and they smell good, but they are filled with evil, evil cheese. I wanted to try them out but honestly didn't think they would be good with nothing but pasta and tofu in them. Then I found a different recipe and my whole view changed.

I have already perfected dairy-free lasagna. I love it but it is a pretty heavy dish. Tons of pasta, sauce, meat...well, tons of everything really. These shells seemed like the perfect solution. I could have the taste of lasagna that I loved but in a smaller commitment. I love how they turned out. I will be making these again, once my freezer stash has dwindled.

Lasagna Stuffed Shells
From Allrecipes.com


Ingredients
1 Box Jumbo Pasta Shells (about 40 shells)
1 Pound Ground Turkey
12oz Firm Tofu
8oz Veggie Shreds Parmesan/Mozzarella Mix Flavor
2 Large Eggs
1 1/2 Jars Tomato Sauce (I used Tomato & Basil flavor)

Directions
  1. In a large stock pot, bring about 4 quarts of water to a boil.
  2. Once the water is boiling, salt the water generously and add the shells.
  3. Cook the shells for about 10 minutes. You want them to be slightly under-done.
  4. While the shells are cooking, cook the turkey in a skillet and set aside.
  5. In a bowl, mash together the eggs, tofu, and veggie shreds.
  6. Once the shells are cooked, remove from the water and rinse with cold water.
  7. Spread tomato sauce on the bottom of two 9x13 baking pans (or 3 8x8 pans).
  8. Take a shell and spoon about a teaspoon of turkey into the bottom of it.
  9. Next, spoon a heaping teaspoon of tofu mixture onto the turkey.
  10. Place the shell into a baking dish.
  11. Continue with the remaining shells.
  12. Once all of the shells are in the pans, spoon tomato sauce onto the top of each shell.
  13. Bake the shells at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, just until the cheese/tofu is melted.
Optional: Feel free to cover the tops of the shells/sauce with more shredded cheese.

Yields:12 servings

These are really filling and very yummy. They freeze well too. The best part is the stats.

No comments:

Post a Comment