Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs

I'm not a big red meat eater. Vince would eat it at every meal if I had enough of it in the house. Thankfully, I do the shopping and the cooking so we only have red meat a couple of times a month. I will admit that I get a little bored with my familiar poultry recipes so I'm always on the lookout for something new to try. I love meatballs, of just about any kind. They are easy to make, freeze well, and can be eaten tons of different ways. I've tried several different meatball recipes using ground turkey and just haven't hit upon one that we really like yet. Ground turkey is pretty bland. You really have to season it well to make a great dish with it. I'll keep trying but I haven't found the right combination yet.

This recipe was really good. It is well seasoned and the sauce is fantastic. Vince is not a big fan of teriyaki, so he probably won't request this one again (although he'll eat it if I made it). I really did like it and it was easy to throw together. It would make a great appetizer for a party or holiday dinner.


Teriyaki Turkey Meatballs
Adapted from A Seasoned Greeting


Ingredients
1 lb Ground Turkey
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
1/8 teaspoon Ground Cloves
1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1 Large Egg
1/4 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper

Sauce:
1/3 Cup Rice Vinegar
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Low-Sodium Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon All Purpose Flour
1/8 teaspoon Ground Ginger
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil and grease with cooking spray.
  3. In a large bowl, mix all of the meatball ingredients together.
  4. Form into golf ball sized meatballs.
  5. Arrange the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned and cooked throughl
  7. While the meatballs are cooking, make the sauce.
  8. In a small saucepan, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients.
  9. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
  10. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
  11. Brush the cooked meatballs generously with the sauce and then return them to the oven for 5 minutes.
  12. Serve the meatballs with the remaining sauce either spooned over top or in a small dish for dipping.

Yields: 24 meatballs (4 per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment