Thursday, March 8, 2012

Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers

I found this recipe while looking for fun foods to make on Superbowl Sunday. Vince and I are not football fans at all. A few years ago we started a tradition of having an un-Superbowl party. Basically, we invited people over to watch either a movie or TV series marathon. We serve typical Superbowl Party style food, which means lots of appetizers and junk food.

This one was a big hit. The filling is out of this world. I had several people go in to the kitchen to grab what was left in the bowl and use it as a spread. It really was yummy.

I will say that the recipe made enough filling for 2 bags of peppers, but that could vary depending on the sizes of peppers that you happen to get in the bag. I made a double batch and used some of the leftover filling to stuff some mushrooms that I had. I preferred the mushrooms to the peppers but that is probably just my own taste, Vince like the peppers better.

These were easy, quick, and pretty tasty so I know I'll be making them (and some mushrooms) again.

Stuffed Mini Sweet Peppers
Adapted from The Way to His Heart


Ingredients
1-2 bags of Baily's Mini Sweet Bell Peppers
8 oz Fat-Free Cream Cheese, softened
8 oz Fat-Free Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 box (9.6 oz) Jimmy Dean Brown & Serve Breakfast Sausage Patties (pre-cooked)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 teaspoon Onion Powder
1/4 Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. In a mixing bowl, crumble the sausage.
  3. Thoroughly mix in the cheeses and seasonings.
  4. Cut each pepper in half, lengthwise, and de-seed.
  5. Generously fill each pepper half with the cheese mixture, making a mounded top.
  6. Roll the tops of the filled peppers in the breadcrumbs.
  7. Place in a greased baking pan.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes.

Yields: Approximately 24 servings (2 pepper halves per serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment