Friday, November 12, 2010

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Ok, so brussel sprouts aren't the most exciting vegetable out there. Like most people, I've never really liked brussel sprouts. I've been trying very hard to incorporate more green vegetables into my diet so I thought I would give these tiny cabbages another shot.

I searched high and low for some way to cook these things without just boiling them to death. Most people will just boil them until they are mush, put some salt on them and then complain that they don't taste good. Gee, I wonder why that would be?

I finally ran across a recipe for broiled brussel sprouts, from Brany Boils Over, that had potential. I changed it up a little and came out with a recipe that I would make again. It would make a great veggie dish during the holidays too.



Roasted Brussel Srpouts
From Branny Boils Over



Ingredients

1 10 oz Bag Frozen Brussel Sprouts
6 Tablespoons Plain Bread Crumbs
2 Tablespoons Margarine, Melted
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Steam the sprouts in the microwave.
  2. Cut eat sprout in half lengthwise.
  3. Spray a baking dish with PAM.
  4. Place the cut sprouts into the baking dish.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  6. Sprinkle all of the seasonings onto the sprouts.
  7. Mix the bread crumbs and margarine together and sprinkle over the top of the seasoned sprouts.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes.

If you really want to get fancy you can stick the sprouts under the broiler for 5 minutes after baking. This will give you a nice crispy crumb topping.

Yields: Approximately 6 servings (1/2 cup each)

No comments:

Post a Comment